Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Karate Kid Remake



Sony is remaking one of my favorite movies from the 80's "The Karate Kid" The film is being directed by Harold Zwart from a screenplay written by Chris Murphey. Will Smith's son Jaden will be playing the role of Daniel Larusso, who is taught karate from Mr. Miyagi, played by Jackie Chan.

I really liked the first 2 Karate Kid films with Ralph Macchio, but the 3rd film wasn't really that great. Seeing Daniel get bullied and beat up 3 different times then learning a new karate move that lets him turn the tables gets old after 3 films. I did enjoy "The Next Karate Kid" with Hillary Swank. Bringing in a new main character and having the character be a girl instead of a guy helped the 4th film be more enjoyable than the 3rd one.

I hope Sony does a good job with this film, but with Hollywood remaking everything under the sun it's always hit a miss with these movies. For example I loved "The Longest Yard" with Adam Sandler, but hated Tim Burton's "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". And while I like a lot of Jackie Chan's films, I just have a hard time seeing him filling Pat Morita's shoes as Mr. Miyagi.

How do you feel about this remake? Looking forward to it or dreading it?

News Source Ain't It Cool News

END POST

Disclaimer

If you follow any links or advertisements to online stores found on this site I earn a small commission.