Saturday, March 28, 2009

New Video Card


Bought a new video card for my PC yesterday, a PNY GeForce 9600 GT. Had some problems installing it, because it was a lot larger than I expected. In order to get it installed I needed to more one of my hard drives to another bay. Simple right? You would think.

Here's where the major problem occurred. The CPU fan was keeping me from putting the hard drive into the new bay, so I went to remove it. Problem was the cooling grease had formed a pretty tight bond between the fan and the CPU. When I pulled the fan up it pulled the CPU out of the socket with it breaking 3 of the pins off the CPU. After a bit of prying the CPU finally came free of the fan and I was able to reinstall it and everything still works. So what I thought would be a quick simple install turned into a big headache, but luckily nothing was permanently broken.

END POST

Disclaimer

If you follow any links or advertisements to online stores found on this site I earn a small commission.