Sunday, October 26, 2008

Comcast Downgrades Digital Cable Service

I use Comcast as my digital cable provider, since they bought Time Warner out here. In the last month they updated their digital cable service, and I use the word update lightly because it's actually a downgrade. During the update not only did I lose all my preset recordings on my DVR box, but all the shows I had saved and hadn't watched yet. Now I'd like to make a comparison between the old system, which was in place from when it was Time Warner and Comcast's so called "new and improved" system.

Old Channel Guide
-Search for shows up to a week in advanced
-Search for programs by name.

"New and Improved" Channel Guide
-Search for shows up to a week in advanced
-Search for shows by first letter only

Old DVR System
-Able to set priority of recordings in case you ever end up with more than 2 recordings happening at the same time. Higher priority ones take precident
-When making a one time recording that will interfere with 2 preset recordings, can temporarily cancel one of the recordings. DVR will automatically record canceled one next it comes on.

"New and Improved" DVR System
-Unable to set recording priority
-When any recording interferes with 2 preset recordings, you must permanently cancel one of the recordings. Then you must later go and manually reset the canceled recording if you want the DVR to record it the next time it comes on.

As you can see I compared 4 features of both systems. Of these 4 comparisons 3 are actually downgrades, and 1 stayed the same. I've sent a complaint to Comcast's Feedback department, but I highly doubt they do anything to address them.

If anyone else wants to address their displeasure with this "new and improved" system Comcast's Feedback address is http://www.comcastsupport.com/forms/contact/RickGermano/Default.aspx

1 comment:

ComcastCares1 said...

Thanks for the feedback. I will make sure it is communicated to the appropriate department.

I apologize for any inconvenience. Please feel free to reach out to us if you need further assistance.

Thanks!

Mark Casem
Comcast Corp.
National Customer Operations
We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com

Disclaimer

If you follow any links or advertisements to online stores found on this site I earn a small commission.